F.X. Sean O'Doherty
Sean O'Doherty has practiced in the Civil Litigation Defense field since 1979. He has tried over 150 jury trials to verdict in the Counties of San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura, Kern, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Orange. Sean is a Diplomate with the American Board of Trial advocates, an invitation only group of TOP litigators in the US.
VEHICLE LIABILITY: Due to his unique background in transportation defense work, Sean manages the firm's Transportation Defense Team. He was a former Claims Investigator, Regional Claims Supervisor and Associate General Counsel for Transit Casualty Insurance Company which, at the time, was the nation's largest transportation underwriter. At Transit Casualty, Sean handled vehicle accident claims involving: commercial trucking and passenger carriers, heavy equipment, bus fleets, and municipal transit.
PREMISES LIABILITY: Sean manages our firm's Premises Liability Practice Group in the Los Angeles and Inland Empire region. Due to his specialty in serving commercial property developers/owners/tenants, one of the largest retail and entertainment REITs in the U.S. selected Sean as primary risk management/litigation defense attorney for California. This client's properties include recreation and leisure centers, lifestyle centers, urban centers and regional retail and entertainment centers.
CONSTRUCTION DEFECT: Sean has developed a Construction Defect Cost Control Program in order to avoid unnecessary legal costs at every phase of a case. His approach includes early mediation, minimizing discovery, obtaining all insurance information, and tendering the defense to other carriers as soon as possible.
EMPLOYMENT LIABILITY: As a result of the internal employment matters on which Sean was consulted while serving as the Associate General Counsel for Transit Casualty Insurance Company, Sean provides clients with a unique practical perspective of often-overlooked employment issues that could lead to litigation.
Sean instructs attorneys on trial techniques and the art of professionalism within the practice of law. He also lectures to private associations and insurance companies in the areas of risk management, litigation management, and discovery. Sean is also a licensed pilot. He has also been accepted to complete the Bar Exam for the Irish Law Society to become a Solicitor.
Areas of Practice
- 70% General Defense Tort Litigation-Trial
- 20% Transportation
- 10% Employment
- Wrongful Death-Plaintiff
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1984
- Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California
- J.D., 1978
- St. Michael's College, Colchester, Vermont
- B.A., Political Science, 1974
- USC School of Medicine - 1980
- Major: Neurology, Orthopedics, Radiology, Anatomy
- State Farm Companies
- Mercury Insurance Group
- Athens Services
- Music Industry Artists
- American Board Trial Advocates-Trial School, ABOTA, 1990 - Present
- Annual and Monthly Seminars- SCTSS, Southern California Tourism Safety Society, 2000 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomate, 1985 - Present
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- National Truck & Heavy Equipment Claims Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- InterModal Association of North America
- National Association of Truck Stop Owners
- California Trucking Association
- American Trucking Association
- National Beer Wholesalers Association
- Isk Insurance Management Society
Past Employment Positions
- Transit Casualty Company, Assoc. General Counsel, 1978 - 1980
Pro Bono Activities
- Special Master - State Bar of California, 1988 - Present
- Former NFL Licensed Agent-NFLPA
- Music Agent-Artists